Close this window
Table of contents:
- Why clicker training?
- Fun, communication, education
- Training cats – is it possible at all?
- What is punishment?
- Disadvantages and limits of punishment
- But it will be okay to lure a little?
- Differences between clicker training cats and dogs
- Finding the right treat
- Getting started
- Conditioning to the clicker
- First tricks
- Why tricks?
- Which exercises are suitable for a start?
- How to start?
- Target Training
- Finger Target
- Jumping through a hoop
- Tips for Shaping
- Jumping from chair to chair
- 101 things to do with a box
- Going to a certain spot
- Staying on a spot
- Capturing: "Caught in the Act"
- How to introduce signals
- Good reasons for signals
- Coming when called
- Variable reinforcement
- For the ambitious: The "time window"
- Lenght of a training session
- When the cat doesn't take treats
- Some basic rules in clicker training
- The training log
- What to write?
- Unwanted behaviours
- Ways of behaviour modification without punishment
- Changing the motivation
- Shaping the absence of the unwanted behaviour
- Bringing unwanted behaviour under stimulus control
- Training an alternative behaviour
- How to make up a training plan
- Clawing for the food
- Pushy begging for food or stealing food
- Scratching furniture or wallpapers
- Cheetah's "Service Bell"
- The cat won't accept grooming
- Fearfulness and extreme shyness towards humans
- Clickers and equipment
- Behaviour chains
- Side effects
- Tasks for advanced clicker trainers
- The passive cat
- The active cat
- Clicker training with more than one animal
- One clicker for all?
- Frequently asked questions:
- How does my cat know what I expect her to do?
- From which age can you start clicker training a kitten?
- When is a cat too old for clicker training?
- Do I have to click forever?
- The conditioning to the clicker doesn't seem to work
- What if I haven't got the clicker with me?
- The cat does not react to my cues
- Can I first lure and then click?
- The cat touches the target stick only when in a sitting position
- The cat doesn't show any sign of the behaviour I'm trying to teach
- The cat leaves the training after a short while or engages in something else
- How often should I train?
- How long is the break between training sessions?
- Isn't my cat going to gain weight with all those treats?
- The cat is allowed a special diet only
- I don't make progress trying to train a specific task
- My cat doesn't offer any behaviour at all
- The cat offers all the tricks in a row
- Why refrain from speaking during the training?
- How to react to unwanted behaviours?
- Difficulties with the correct timing
- Further resources of information
- Thank You
- Credits (photos)
- Photo Gallery
Close this window
© Birgit Laser 2011/2012